- For the chicken:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- For the adobo seasoning:
- 1 tbsp Cooking With Greens Tex Mex Blend
- 1 ½ tsp Cooking WIth Greens Go To Blend
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 tsp Cooking With Greens No Salt Onion Black Pepper Blend
- For the sofrito & rice:
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup finely diced green pepper
- ¼ cup finely diced white onion
- ¼ cup finely diced cilantro
- Optional: 1 jalapeno, diced
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tsp Cooking with Greens No Salt Go To Blend
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Cooking with Greens Pink Himalayan Sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon Cooking with Greens No Salt Onion black pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 ¼ chicken broth
- 1 cup basmati white rice (or 2/3 cup Quinoa)
- ⅔ cup frozen peas (or rinsed and drained pigeon peas)
- OPTIONAL: ½ cup pitted green olives
Add chicken to a large bowl. Add in 1 tablespoon olive oil and ingredienys for adobo seasoning. Add the chicken in the mixture and mix well. Cover and allow chicken to marinate for 30 minutes, or you can skip this completely and begin the cooking process!
Next add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large deep 10 inch skillet and place over medium high heat. (If you do not have a skillet a large pot will also work very well!) Once oil is hot, add in chicken. Cook until browned 4-5 minutes, then flip and and cook an additional 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan and transfer to a plate.
In the same skillet (it should be greased enough already for sauteing) you will make your sofrito by adding in garlic, jalapeno, diced green pepper, diced onion and cilantro.
Saute for 2-3 minutes, then add in your spices and cook for 30 seconds. Then add in tomato sauce and broth and stir well to combine.
Bring to a simmer then fold in the rice and peas, making sure it is evenly distributed. Add browned chicken on top.
Reduce heat to low, cover the skillet immediately and cook for 20-25 minutes.
After 20-25 minutes, most of the liquid should be absorbed and rice should be cooked. Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro and serve with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.